Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I'm absolutely blown away by my speed.



Cause as it turns out, I'm not that fast.

I've been able to run longer and longer at a comfortable pace, but I decided I would try to do my version of speedwork today in an attempt to get faster over those long distances.

The first mile, I tried to run faster than my usual pace, but just slow enough so that I wouldn't burn out halfway through.  I managed a disappointing 8:07 min/mile.

The second mile, I slowed to a jog to recover.  It was a slow jog, so I don't care to state the pace here.

Since I knew I didn't have that much more until I got to my car, I finished the last quarter mile with zero regards to my legs or my lungs.  Coincidentally, it started raining almost as soon as I started running, so I went even faster because I figured I should get my phone back to dry refuge ASAP.  I clocked in a 7:06 min/mile pace.

Really?  7:06?  That was my fastest?  To think that some marathoners run their entire race at the this pace, and I couldn't even run a quarter mile without wheezing like a asthmatic who dangerously needed an inhaler (though to be fair, a doctor once told me I was "borderline asthmatic"...whatever that means.)

I know I'm probably not approaching speedwork the right way.  I'm going to look up some more regimented plans and try again next week.  Maybe if I start working on my speed once a week, I'll start getting faster.

That's the hope, at least.  I guess only time will tell if I'm cut out for this running thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment