Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Runner's Body

I found this YouTube series called "The Runner's Body" and I was very inspired.  I watched every single video.  I love that the interviews covered runners of all types of body types and backgrounds.  Here's just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-RtKmzJv0E

And just for funsies, I decided to answer the questions too!




Why did I start running: I was never active - never played any sports, never could run a mile.  When I was an undergrad, I would occasionally go for a run around the block when I got frustrated, so I could clear my head and decompress before going back to work.  But, ultimately, the reason I decided to take running more seriously was because I had come to a very uncertain time during my life, when I was about to take enormous risks and I wasn't sure whether I had what it took to be successful.  When I was younger, running was a physical reminder of what I was incapable of.  So when I started being able to run longer and faster, I was accomplishing things I NEVER thought I could do. It gave me confidence that I could conquer the chaos that was my actual life too.

How has running changed my body: To be honest, I don't clock enough mileage to major changes in my body.  Maybe I have my legs are a little harder and I have a little more definition in my abs (more on that later), but beyond that, I'm not sure.  I have noticed major internal changes though.  I used to get winded after running half a lap around the track, and I actually believed I just had weak lungs and there was nothing I could do about it.  Now, I can run six, seven miles and feel great.  It's still pretty unbelievable.

Least Favorite Body Part: My abs.  I think I will always be self-conscious of my abs, no matter how they look.  I carry all my fat in my midsection, and I lose weight in just about every other part of my body before I lose it from my belly.  Of course, that was the part of my body I targeted with every torturous, unhealthy diet I followed.  A lot of my self-worth was centered around how much belly fat I didn't have, and while that mentality has slowly fading away, an inkling of it will still always be there.

Favorite Body Part: Arms.  I have been playing the piano since I was five years old, and I was fairly accomplished by the time I was in high school.  I didn't play any sports growing up, mainly because I was terrible at everything I tried, but piano became my "sport".  I played at virtually every musical, award show, and concert in my community.  I don't play us much as I used to, but I still have some decent definition in my arms.  Playing the piano is a surprisingly effective upper body workout, and it makes beautiful music to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment