Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Body running amok

I've always prided myself on having a very strong immune system.  During college, I got sick once, maybe twice.  And if I did get sick, I just denied, denied, denied until it went away so I couldn't remember if I was ever sick in the first place.

This has not been the case this week.

One of my favorite sitcoms to air was Dharma and Greg and this episode describes my situation to a T.


Ok, so I don't have gout.  But in the last week, I've had 5 migraines, 2 sore throats, a cough, a runny nose, a 24-hour fever, 2 cases of pinkeye, 1 puffy foot tendon, a persistent case of the hiccups, some mystery face bruises, and approximately -100,000 hairs on my head.  Not to mention I was just sick little over a month ago.  All minor things, but this is coming from someone who worked in an ER in the midst of flu season without even catching a sniffle.

I'm getting worried, not because being sick is so terrible, but because I think that I brought this illness onto myself.


I don't deal with boredom well, so if I have even a few minutes of downtime, I will find something to fill it with.  So for the last several years, I've been working practically 7 days a week, 18 hours a day.

I wonder if my body is finally starting to break down, and this is its way of telling me that I need to take life at a slower pace.  Maybe trying to finish a bachelors degree in 2 years wasn't the best course of action.  Maybe I should cut back on work. 

For now, I'm going to keep watching my body for any more signals.  If I'm lucky, this was just a fluke and I'll be back to normal soon.  But if I keep getting sick, I think I will need to relax a little bit more.

Relaxing.  That scares me.  But if that's what my body needs, then that's what I'll have to do.  I'll just have to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment