Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

7:53 and 70 degrees

Do you see that 2 mile split?  7:53.  What?!  I did that?  Excuse me while I take a moment...


I have never run a mile that fast before.  Now granted, that mile was pretty much all downhill (the 1st mile was uphill, and the last .38 was flat), but still.  I mean, I haven't even clocked in a time like that in speed work.  And especially as of late, I've slowed down to a very sluggish trot.

Speaking of lately, the last five months of this blog have been about me complaining about winter.  Because yes, in this area, winter lasts five months, and yes, nature has been a real bitch.  This run was done on a day when it was about 30 degrees F, but most importantly, most of the snow had melted.  Running on packed snow is very similar to running on sand, only more dangerous because of the additional slip factor.  Bare pavement is much more runner-friendly.

Looking at it that way, I can see where that 7:53 came from.  It's definitely encouraging to see dramatically cutting back on running over the winter didn't make me slow.  Instead, it looks like each of those miserable freezing runs actually made me stronger.  I'm really looking forward to spring running, now.

It's 70 degrees today, and positively wonderful.  I wouldn't count on winter being over just yet though.  It's supposed to snow this weekend...

But hey, as long as it's just snow, and not another polar vortex, I'm not going to argue.


No comments:

Post a Comment