Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Knowing I made the right decision.

Since childhood, I had been very clear about what wanted, and was stubborn to a fault.   With this kind of dogged determination to reach all of my goals, I had no doubt that I would have my entire life figured out by the time I was in my twenties.

Now that I'm in my twenties, I laugh at my old self.



I've started to realize that while childhood and adolescence are times of significant physical development, in today's society, the twenties are the most formative years in basically every other aspect.  They are full of uncertainty, as it is completely under our own control to mold ourselves into the people we want to be for the next 40, 50 or 60 years.  That's a lot of responsibility.

About six months ago, I took the biggest risk of my life by turning my life upside-down and starting a new career from scratch.  I had spent my entire life to that point 100% sure of what I wanted to be, and all of a sudden that wasn't true anymore.  So now, I've gone back those eight years to start all over again.

I am gambling with my life.

I hope I'm making the right decision.

The scariest part is that I won't know that I've done the right thing until I'm at the end of this new path.  That thought alone is frightening enough to make me chicken out and go back to where I was comfortable.

I keep going because I keep telling myself that I did make the right decision, that I am making the right decision.  I can't keep looking back and think of what could have been; instead, I have to look ahead and remind myself how much brighter my future will be, because with great risk comes great reward.  In the end, it will all be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment